While the jury is still out on the potential skin irritant effects of these ingredients, we choose NOT to bring you any products that contain these.
Phenoxyethanol - preservative widely used to replace parabens but itself subject to growing concerns as a potential irritant.
Methylisothiazolinone and Methylchloroisothiazolinone – preservatives recently linked to a steep rise in allergies known as contact dermatitis, particularly from leave on products like moisturisers, make-up, sunscreens and baby wipes.
Dimethicone (Silicone): Similar to petroleum jelly or mineral oil, dimethicone is low-cost and covers your skin like a film to trap moisture and fill in uneven areas, however, this also means it prevents your skin from breathing and traps bacteria, sebum and impurities, which can be particularly detrimental to acne-prone or oily skin, as you are more likely to see an increase of clogged pores, blackheads and breakouts when using products containing dimethicone.
1. Cleanser: Remove impurities and refresh skin.
2. Exfoliator: Detoxify, polish and prepare skin for better absorption of products.
3. Toner & Hydrosol: Balance the skin PH levels, remove residual dirt, soothe and improve complexion. Avoid alcohol in toners for all skin types. Steam-distilled hydrosols contain all the beneficial components that whole plant materials have to offer, unlike their 'essential oil added to water' counterparts.
4. Face Oil: Add hydration, nourishment and balance your skin. The right face oil will NOT break you out in pimples or clog your skin pores; daily application of face oils is not necessary. “Face oils are the answer to every skin problem, even if you have oily skin” - Los Angeles aesthetician Rita Csizmadia, who is widely known for performing skin-clearing miracles.
5. Serum: Target specific skin needs with serums as they are formulated with smaller molecules and a higher concentration of ingredients to ensure deep skin penetration. Serums can target skin hyperpigmentation, brightening, tightening and slow down skin ageing.
6. Moisturiser: Seal in products and soften the skin external layer with natural and organic ingredients that allow your skin to breathe.
7. SPF: Protect the skin external layer from UVA and UVB rays.
Additional skin care treatments such as Masks, Peels, Serums, Mists, Eye creams and Night creams can further improve skin tone and skin texture.